Friday, June 8, 2007

Saying Goodbye

...is never easy.

We went to a going away party for our friends that are moving out of the country at the end of the summer. They're moving up to Minnesota for the summer on Monday, and we'll still see them tomorrow and Sunday but the time is drawing closer and closer. They are just THE nicest people and we truly will miss them. Grace is going to miss her friend I know that. Fortunately they will be "connected" when they're over on the other side of the world and so hopefully we can stay in touch through the years they'll be gone.

Alright, sorry to have started this out on a sad note. Grace AND I got to sleep in today and that was certainly welcome! We had a pretty good morning and then were going to the chiropractor and of course we were late--which we never are for him, usually we're really early and are waiting because he's not ready for regular patients yet. He has certain hours where he does initial consultations that require x-rays and the whole analysis. But it didn't matter as he was behind schedule and was actually busy. He's never busy in the middle of the day, but he was today. So we actually had to wait which we also never have to do, unless you're really early. After that, we drove up to my new favorite store, the Menards in Antioch. We stopped and had lunch on the way. I needed those new post toppers for the garden fence and some type of stakes to use to cover up the strawberries which I didn't get to today. Hopefully I can get to that tomorrow. This weekend is such a busy one. We'll be spending most of our time up in Kenosha for the Recital. Tomorrow we're leaving at 11:15am to go up there and probably won't be home before 4:30pm and then Sunday we'll probably leave by 10:30am and not be home before 6:30 and that's assuming we don't go to dinner afterwards which we normally do.

After Menards, we stopped at the grocery store to get a side dish to bring to dinner tonight. I got 14 ears of corn on the cob. We brought it home and I threw it in the cooler and added water. That's how you cook corn on the cob on the grill if you didn't know that. That's the secret, don't remove any of the skin or the silk and soak them for at least an hour in water. Start the grill, let it heat up and then spread the coals around and I usually add some more fresh coals so the fire doesn't get low near the end of cooking. Then add them and I generally turn them about every 20 minutes and it takes about an hour. All that water inside the husks steams the corn from the inside out while the charcoal imparts it's own flavor throughout the whole ear of corn. Mmmm mmmm good!

Then we get home from dinner tonight and my poor Aunt, she needs help with her computer and I wasn't home long enough to call her today. I'll have to call her first thing in the morning tomorrow before we head out to Kenosha. So look for that call Luvy - I didn't forget about you!

I was checking online today about renting a professional video camera to use when I record the recital as I always do. I just have a consumer level Canon mini-dv video recorder. I wanted to rent one that was better so that the end result is higher quality, but the price was a little too steep since I'm not going to be paid for any type of video I produce. And even if I produced a video that I tried to sell, I'm not that good, so it's really not worth their spending much money on it. So with Julie's level head, we nixed that idea. It would have been about $200 for one day to rent it. And you generally have to put a down-payment for the full sales price down before you take it and then you get that money back when you return the item you've rented. (You know my track record with a down-payment being returned.)

No comments: