Friday, July 6, 2007

Fridays and DirecTV again

The week is over and today was a little busy; picked up Julie's Aunt from the airport which took a little longer than expected. First Grace and I hit traffic on 294 southbound the last 5 miles before 190. It wasn't exactly stop and go, but it wasn't much better. I think it took us at least 20 minutes to go those 5 miles. Then we get up to the arrival area and we're waiting for the luggage to come and Grace HAS to go to the bathroom. So we had to park and walk all the way inside to a bathroom. And of course this is when my Aunt's luggage finally shows up. It took an hour from when the plane landed to when the luggage came out.

Then she hadn't eaten anything since breakfast so we stopped at Culver's for a snack and she had a late lunch. Then we headed over to our house so she could get settled into her room. Julie actually made it home in about an hour and we ended up getting over to her parents pretty early tonight. Had a great meal and my BIL and I played with the DirecTV HD box he got off of eBay.

Alright, so you remember everything I said yesterday about the HiDef receiver we have and maybe this one that my BIL just got being phased out in a few months. Well when I called DirecTV yesterday about ordering a new access card for this receiver I didn't know the model or any of the particulars about it, so they couldn't tell me if it was being phased out or not. So my BIL sent me the info about the model number and I called DirecTV earlier today to find out if it is one of the models being phased out. After waiting on hold for a few minutes, she comes back and says that all models are being phased out and only these 2 models (HR20-100 and HR20-700) are going to be compatible with the new channels being rolled out this fall. I said I thought the normal H20 model was compatible and she said yes it was too. Both of the models she mentioned are DVR models. So according to her, only three models will be compatible with the new channels when they roll-out in the fall. Plus we will need an additional new dish on the roof to receive the signal from the two new satellites that are broadcasting these signals.

Anyway, I called to find out whether this receiver was being phased out too (that my BIL bought) and yes it is since it isn't one of those other models. So I talked to my BIL and we decided that we'd try to get the access card anyway even though they told me I couldn't get one yesterday. So after dinner I called and the girl I got processed it as if nothing was wrong. Should have the card in a couple days and have no problems hopefully when we go to actually activate this new receiver. So we should be good with it for quite a while as I don't believe they will actually phase them out for another couple of years, they just won't be able to receive the new channels they will be offering. But only time will truly tell.

It was great to see Julie's Aunt today. We haven't seen her in several months. When we go on vacation later this month we'll be stopping at her house en-route to Colorado. Can't wait! Just wish we'd have our new car by then. But it's looking slimmer and slimmer that it might be a reality.

No comments: