Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ready for drywall

Sorry again about not writing for almost a week. As you can imagine things were a little hectic with Julie gone and then there was Easter, etc., etc. So here's a rundown of the last six days. On Thursday my Uncle came over to help with the house again. Grace went to preschool and Uncle Bill and I got the exhaust fan ducting replaced and a new vent hood put outside which turned out to be a great idea because birds had taken up residence inside this ducting. This explains why the fan in the downstairs bathroom was basically useless. I still feel we need a new fan, but at least the fan we have should work better.

I drilled holes for conduit in the garage and installed the sub-panel for electric out there. Then we got all the electrical conduit in place and started pushing some wire. However we ran out of wire so we'll have to finish up on Friday. Thursday night I took Julie's brother to O'Hare Airport as he was heading out to sunny Arizona with some of his friends. They were going out for spring training to watch some Cubs games. So I didn't get to go to bible study again this week. Hopefully next week...

So on Friday Grace had preschool again and my Uncle came back to finish up the electrical work we had begun on Thursday. We pushed all the wire and got the new circuits working: one for the low-voltage distribution box I put in for my cable and telephone lines and for the new outlets in the kitchen and then another for the server that will be moving into the basement. There aren't any more spaces left in the breaker box for the garage sub-panel, so we'll have to add that when we expand the box to a 200 amp box. But the really good news is that the family room is officially ready for drywall! I'll talk to my BIL on Easter and see if he has time for us anytime soon.

Saturday we were re-acclimating to Julie being home and enjoying being together again so we didn't really do much. Sunday was Easter so obviously we went to church as did the rest of Lake County, WOW! We've never seen that many people at our church at one time before. Thank goodness we got there early - really early. Otherwise we would not have been sitting for the service.

After church we had some time for me to make some cinnamon bread and then head over to Julie's parents for Easter dinner. We were there and one of Julie's sister's and our BIL that will be helping me with the drywall in our family room was there. The rest of Julie's family is on vacation/spring break. So anyway I mentioned to my BIL that we were ready for drywall and he said that he couldn't do it until he gets things done at his own house. So now I'm searching for a drywall company to come and install this for us so we can move forward. I'm tired of not having a ceiling in my family room and we need this done now.

So starting today I've begun researching contractors and will be getting estimates soon. I'm anxious to get this room done so we can do other rooms in our house. We have so many ideas and so little time and money which is why we have been doing so much ourselves to save money. I just don't feel comfortable doing drywall on a ceiling myself if I want it to look nice. It wouldn't be a flat surface if I did it. I could probably get away with doing walls, but ceilings are (at least in my opinion) much more difficult.

That's about it for now. We're going on vacation ourselves soon so we'll be busy getting ready for that. But I'll try to update soon.

No comments: