Sunday, April 13, 2008

Notre Dame Frozen Four

I can't say I'm a huge college hockey fan but my BIL is and Notre Dame made it to the frozen four this year but lost in the finals yesterday. I have to say Notre Dame did really well with most of their sports teams this year (except football.)

Anyway, Friday was a normal day with Grace going to school again. I was starting to clean up the house because my Mom was coming on Saturday for a few days visit on the way to a conference in Ohio. So I got the spare room pretty much all cleaned up and the only thing left for that room was cleaning the sheets so my Mom had a place to sleep. A short time later she called and said that she was affected by the American Airlines MD-80 maintenance issue and that she had verified with the airlines that there was a 99% probability that she wouldn't be flying on Saturday.

So that ended my cleaning spree and so Grace and I just hung out for the rest of the afternoon. Then I started completing some of my around-the-house wiring tasks. I finished running the cable line from the TV in the family room down to the basement. So now we can watch things recorded on TIVO on our television in the exercise area of the basement. I tried to connect the network cable to the area where we're moving the server in the basement, but the cable I pulled down there was too short to reach over to that area. I thought I could just tape additional wire onto the wire I had already pulled and use that to pull the new wire down there, but it doesn't let me pull it for some reason.

I even tried to pull it back towards the router and distribution box and the line wasn't budging that way either. So I suppose I'm stuck trying to run an additional line down to the basement for the server. That really stinks because I thought I was done pulling wires. Then there's the problem with the HDTV cable that doesn't work for some reason. It was part of the large bundle of wires I pulled originally from the distribution box to the TV in the Family Room and then pulled up from the distribution box up to the attic. All the other wires work fine but for some reason that one doesn't.

On Saturday I worked on the wiring going out to the garage. I'm taking everything out there just in case I ever need it. I got the wires all out there and an outlet in place. The cable is hooked up although I haven't tested it yet. I still need to hook up the phone and network lines and then test them. I also still haven't set up the other router I got yet which I'll be basically using as a switch. I'll need to move the new washing machine to install that now because I'll have to move a network cable from an outlet to this new router so the two routers are connected to allow more physical connections throughout the house.

Today was church and then we had a birthday party for our nephew who turned 16 today. That was pretty much our day and tomorrow Grace has her preschool story time at the library. She so looks forward to this each week. Julie actually asked at breakfast this morning when the story time program was over and Grace just about cried. She obviously won't be happy when this is over. I actually think next week is the last week. I guess we'll have to prepare her for that. She gets emotional about most everything. I've been told it's because she's a girl and that boys aren't like that. From what I've observed of other peoples children that are this age, I'd say that's about as accurate as you can be.

I've also got to finish our taxes as they're due on Tuesday. The sad part is we're expecting a return so we're allowing the government to keep our money for all this time without earning interest. So that will be my day tomorrow I suppose; taxes and the library.

No comments: