Tuesday, August 25, 2009

ALCAT

Anyone heard of an ALCAT test? I got my results today from my test. It is a food allergy test and as it turns out I'm allergic to MANY foods I eat every day.

The worst foods for me are limes and the spice nutmeg. So no Corona's and no pumpkin pie - certainly not together as that sounds disgusting.

My moderate intolerance foods are apples, beets, garlic, green peppers, iceburg lettuce, sage, SHRIMP and watermelon. Who is allergic to iceberg lettuce? I mean seriously. And apples? I have an apple tree in my yard with incredibly good apples each year (which will be ripe in just about two weeks by the way.) Craziness! Garlic is going to be hard I think because it's in a lot of things and shrimp are one of my favorite foods. Not that I eat them all that often, I just really like them.

Mild intolerance foods are almonds, bananas, bass, brewer's yeast, buckwheat, eggplant, mustard, parsley, pears, pineapple, sole, string beans, tilapia and turkey. Guess Thanksgiving won't be as exciting this year. And whenever we get to Hawaii (one of these years...) I can't eat too much fresh pineapple either.

As far as chemicals I don't have any severe reactions to any of them. But for moderate intolerance there is benzoic acid, red dye #3 and sorbic acid. Both of these acids are food preservatives. My mild intolerance chemicals are aspartame and MSG; chemicals that I believe everyone should avoid.

Lastly I show an mild intolerance to casein which is found in milk/dairy products. Now that really hurts.

These analyses are certainly going to change everything for my diet. We'll have to change pretty much everything around here for me. For example I usually have cottage cheese and yogurt for breakfast every day. Good thing I'm not allergic to eggs like my Mom is because that's the other thing I have for breakfast most days.

2 comments:

the smart salesmen said...

the test is for sensitivity and intolerance. An allergy is something you would have to stay away from for the rest of your life. Sensitivities, you would have to purge out of your system for 6 months or so, to bring down the inflammation. I have a sensitivity to lemon and lime also and had horrible stomach cramps everytime I had water with lemon. You'll definately see a change and it's a lifestyle change, not a quick fix diet.

Rebecca Stahr said...

I came across your post searching for Alcatraz test in lake county. I was wondering if you could tell me the dr who did your testing?