Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hewlett Packard - Part 2

So after talking to this lady, I agreed to have her send me a replacement hard drive and video card even though they weren't the parts I needed. When I got both parts in the mail, they were both the wrong parts. The video card wasn't for my model of computer and the hard drive was the wrong size. So guess what? I got to call again. This time I got a guy and he was pretty helpful in getting me the correct parts. While I had him on the phone, I read him what the form says (as you can see in the first post) about not removing any added components before mailing. His reply was that this was wrong and wasn't HP policy.

A short time after mailing back the defective products I received an email stating I hadn't returned my defective hard drive so I got to call again (yea!) This was really getting fun now. I'm calling HP more often than I call my wife it seems. I was told it was just a mistake and it would be taken care of. It was as I never heard about the issue again.

After all of this aggravation, I wrote a letter to the President of the company, Mark Hurd (Mark Hurd, President, Hewlett-Packard Company, 3000 Hanover St, Palo Alto, CA 94304-1185) explaining everything I've described here in these two posts. I mentioned everything that is still not right with my computer and how I will never purchase an HP computer ever again. I did receive a phone call from some "HP Executive Office" stating that they were escalating my issue to a case manager and to expect a phone call with 24-48 hours. I never heard from them again.

So I don't know what the lesson learned is from this. I guess it's that HP doesn't stand behind their documentation or their repair department. You're on your own if you have a problem. Basically the warranty is pretty much useless in my opinion. Why even offer a warranty if you aren't going to repair your computer products properly? They could have resolved my problems pretty cheaply and avoided losing a customer and the word-of-mouth advertising I was already providing. I will never recommend an HP computer again. I will never buy an HP computer again. I will also suggest to anyone considering purchasing a computer to not buy HP and explain my travails.

I will work on getting that video edited and posted here soon. I guess in the future I will just go back to what I know and build my own PC so I know it will work and that the company that made the product will stand behind it. It's amazing how long some of the parts manufacturers warranty their products. It's much longer than the big PC companies. I've even considered going to the dark side (switching to a Mac--gasp!) :-0

No comments: